When temperatures plummet and you’re craving something warm and cozy, you can’t go wrong with fluffy homemade dumplings. These dumplings may taste like they took all day in the kitchen but with just four ingredients and three simple steps, our homemade dumplings recipe is beyond easy. MORE+LESS-
tablespoon baking powder
tablespoons vegetable oil
chopped chives or parsley if desired for garnish
Combine flour, salt and baking powder. Add oil and water and mix until smooth. Add a bit more water until dumplings are soft and not at all dry.
Bring broth to a boil and add dumplings by spoonful. Reduce heat and cook dumplings 4-5 minutes. (Do in batches if you are using a small pan.)
Serve dumplings in broth garnished with chopped parsley or chives as desired.
- Measure out the ingredients for your dumplings by spooning dry ingredients into a standard measuring cup, then leveling the top with a straight-edge metal spatula or knife. Don’t scoop or pack the ingredients down.
- Be sure the broth is bubbling before dropping in the dumplings so the bottoms cook well at the start. Lower the heat to finish slowly cooking the dumplings completely, so they aren't soggy and doughy in the centers.
- Stir in a teaspoon of your favorite dried herb into the dry mixture before adding the oil and water, or sprinkle the dumplings with some grated Parmesan cheese before serving.
- Drop your dumplings by spoonfuls into boiling broth making sure they are consistent in size to ensure even cooking. Oversized dumplings tend not to hold their shape and fall apart while cooking.
- You can easily make a creamier broth by adding a little cream or milk to your broth.
More About This Recipe
- If you have a few minutes and a few ingredients, these dumplings can be yours. All yours.
Soup season is here whether we're ready or not. And if you're not quite there yet, we've got the easiest suggestion yet for easing into the season: Make dumplings!
So easy. So quick. So very, very delish.
Come on...make 'em with me:
Mix up flour, salt, baking powder, oil and water. You counted right. 5 simple things right outta your kitchen cabinet.
Heat up some broth or your fave soup to a boil.
Scoop up a wad of that dough, about like this. It's all gloppy and dough-like, and that's a-ok.
Plop those dumplings into boiling broth. Let them cook for a few minutes.
Cooked up, that li'l dumplin' looks like this. It PLUMPED! That's a mighty fiiiine looking dumpling. Let's get a few more...
Serve 'em up in a bowl of broth or soup and sprinkle with chopped parsley or herbs. Add whatever other seasonings your little heart desires...pepper, hot sauce, ya know...
And that is how you get into the season the RIGHT way. The EASY way. The TASTY way. Can't beat it!